Bramber Neighbourhood Plan
Pre-submission Regulation 14 (Consultation), 15 and 16
I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to provide us with feedback on our Plan during the Regulation 14 step. The Steering Group have now considered that feedback and agreed on the changes they feel are required as a result. The latest copy of the Plan has now been uploaded to the website.
Regulation 15 identified the other associated documentation necessary for presentation to the Horsham District Council (HDC). These documents may also be found on the website.
We are now at the Regulation 16 stage whereby the Plan is presented to our governing body (HDC) who will in turn carry out a further consultation process during which any further feedback can be submitted. The dates of this consultation step will be made known to all interested parties by HDC. After that, an independent inspection of the Plan is carried out, necessary changes made and then, finally, residents are asked to vote in a parish-wide referendum.
Many thanks to all who have participated so far. It has been a huge effort and we now have a comprehensive Plan for Bramber which we believe can guide and direct us to the benefit of the Parish for the next 15 years.
Meeting minutes and relevant documentation can be found on the Neighbourhood Plan section of the website.
Roger Potter – Chairman, Bramber Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group
New Year Celebrations
Bramber - A Snapshot
Bramber parish is a rural area in the lee of the South Downs, located inland from Shoreham-by-Sea and extending to some 1770 acres. Much of the land is actively farmed and ranges from flood plain to upland on to the South Downs. There is a natural boundary to the East in the river Adur which separates the village from Upper Beeding. The southern side is wholly rural and joins farms in the parish of Coombes, elsewhere the boundaries mingle with Steyning. Part of the parish falls within the newly created South Downs National Park. The Parish Council works closely with the Parishes of Upper Beeding and Steyning in matters of mutual interest.
There are four identifiable residential areas: Bramber village, which is a single linear street (originally a causeway) and still contains listed buildings; Maudlyn Park, largely a post-war housing development accommodating the majority of the parish's population and the two picturesque hamlets of Annington and Botolphs.
Historically the area has been populated for well over a 1000 years. It is recorded that the village developed along a trade route from Cornwall through to Kent and the Continent; had strong Saxon links and by 959 St Botolph's church had been built. Bramber castle and the church followed in 1073.
The villages contain buildings of considerable historical interest such as the Saxon church at Botolphs, Bramber Castle, which is cared for by English Heritage, St Nicholas Church, the oldest Norman Church in the county, and the 15th century former pilgrims rest at St Mary’s House. St. Mary's still attracts great interest and, through the efforts of the current owners and volunteers, the house and gardens have been restored to their former glory and numerous events are held throughout the year.
Whilst farming remains an important aspect of the local economy, there is also light industry in an industrial estate in Annington. There are no shops in the village but there is a pub (the Castle Hotel), the 38 bedroom Old Tollgate Hotel and Indian and Chinese restaurants. Tourism is still a major attraction to the area, which is criss-crossed by many footpaths and bridleways, including the Monarchs Way, the Downs Link and the South Downs Way.
Local interests are well catered for by the Parish Council and a social group called the Bramber Society. It organises various activities which bring residents together - talks, village cleanups, celebrations, arranging floral decorations through the village and Christmas carols and decorations. The village also has links with several specialised interest groups.
Schools, health services and local shops are provided from the neighbouring villages of Steyning and Upper Beeding.